2013 VSAIA Design Awards for Historic Preservation
National Academy of Sciences
Quinn Evans Architects
This comprehensive 182,000-sf rehabilitation/restoration revitalized a significant historic property in Washington’s monumental core. A primary challenge was designing interventions to satisfy expanding needs while preserving the historic fabric of both the 1924 neoclassical structure designed by Bertram Goodhue and its 1962, ’65, and ’70 additions designed by Harrison & Abramovitz. The jury lauded the results as “beautifully executed. The well-coordinated design and construction team followed the best of preservation practice in an exemplary way. This is an excellent first rate renovation of a landmark Washington, D.C., building.”
► The interior vaulted dome is Guastavino structural tile with hand-painted and gilded acoustical tiles.
► Contemporary systems and infrastructure integrate seamlessly into the historic fabric.
► The grand south façade from Constitution Ave. has again become the main entrance.
Owner: National Academy of Sciences
Photographer: © Maxwell MacKenzie
Restoration of the 1917 Chesterfield Courthouse
Davis Buckley Architects and Planners
The 1917 Colonial Revival structure was still seeing heavy use in 2008 when the architect noticed a sagging roof ridge—an indication of progressive collapse. Following temporary stabilization, the county commissioned the team to perform a full restoration within a vexingly tight working area. The jury commended the architect for both his quick response and carefully concealed updates.
► The courthouse building and its predecessor have been at the center of this historically rich county since 1749.
► Undersized connections in four king-rod trusses were leading to a roof failure in an occupied public building.
► The restoration stabilized the structure, updated systems, and made the building code- and ADA-compliant.
Owner: Chesterfield County
Contractor: J.W. Enochs, Inc.
Photographer: Michael Ventura Photography
State Theatre Restoration
Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas
This Art Deco building is on the Virginia and National Registers of Historic Places. The restoration improved pedestrian and vehicular flow, upgraded seating and building systems, and added a black-box theater. The jury credited the architect for returning the theater to its original essence with limited resources.
► The theatre was Culpeper’s primary movie house from 1938 until it closed in 1993.
► Completely restored inside and out, the venue now supports musical, stage, and film performances.
► The State Theatre is now an economic driver for its community and a regional entertainment destination.
Owner: State Theatre Foundation
Contractor: C.L. Lewis & Company, Inc. (Now Jamerson-Lewis Construction)
Photographer: Matt Wargo
Peirce Mill Complex
This Rock Creek mill’s load-bearing masonry dates to the 1820s. It was active until 1998 when Hurricane Bonnie severely damaged the mill race. The restoration reactivated the mill, reinterpreted the site, and provided vehicular access. The jury particularly commended how the architect revealed the artifice behind the mill-race restoration.
► Peirce is the last of eight mills that operated along Rock Creek in the 19th century.
► Recreation of a portion of the head trace allows operation of the milling equipment.
► The restoration also introduced life-safety features and a modest heating system.
Owner: National Park Service
Contractor: TMC Construction Corp
Photographer: Ron Blunt Photography